This may be a little off topic from the computer world, but there might be someone out there trying to program there DirecTV remote control to work with their Yamaha Receiver. If this reaches just one person, then it makes it all worthwhile.
1. First, there has to be a TV code programmed to the TV button on your remote. Make sure you have your specific TV code programmed to the TV button on your DirecTV remote before proceeding.
2. Put the DirecTV remote on AV2.
3. Press and hold MUTE and SELECT at the same time until you see two blinks at the top of the remote.
4. Enter 30176, then Press Select. Put your DirecTV remote back on TV mode at the top.
5. Now try to hit Volume up or down and see if your Yamaha receiver is being controlled with your DirecTV remote.
I truly hope this helped you out through your frustrations of not being able to control the volume with your DirecTV remote.
As always, for anything tech or I.T. related, let us know. We can help in MANY aspects, whether it be Backups, virus cleanup, PC cleanup, Server maintenance and upgrades, Managed Services, and any other IT projects on the horizon.